When I was a kid, I loved seafood. Even before I stopped eating meat because of my love for animals, I didn’t each much of it because I didn’t really care for it. But I would eat the heck out of some seafood. I was pescatarian for a several years before eventually leaving fish behind as well. But one of the things I’ve missed most over the years is a smooth, buttery scampi with a side of hearty crab cakes. So, today’s meatless Monday meal is a throwback to my childhood favorites, but with a gluten-free, vegetarian spin.
1 can palm hearts
1/2 cup red onion, diced
1/2 cup green pepper diced
1/2 cup celery, diced
1/2 cup carrot, shredded
1 ear sweet corn (cut off the cob)
1/2 tbs garlic, minced
2 tsp flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
1/2 cup gluten-free panko bread crumbs
1/4 cup gluten-free flour
1/2 cup water (or dry white wine)
1 flax egg (see below for instructions)
1 tsp mustard
1 tsp Old Bay Seasoning
Salt, pepper, and other seasonings to taste
*Nutrition facts at bottom
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Use two forks to shred the palm hearts lengthwise and then cut shreds into smaller chunks (about the size of lump crab meat.
- Mix in onion, pepper, celery, carrots, corn, garlic and parsley.
- Add gluten-free flour, Old Bay, and seasonings of choice, and stir to combine.
- Stir in water (or wine) mustard, incorporate well.
- Mix in bread crumbs and flax egg.
- Shape into patties and bake for 20–22 minutes.
To give these a bit of a crunch around the outside, brown on the stove for 1–2 minutes on each side over medium-high heat before baking.
Serve with lemon and your choice of sauce. Sometimes, I will top these with avocado slices and drizzle with Thai sweet chili sauce.
1 package firm tofu
2 tbs butter (or vegan butter)
2 tbs olive oil
1/2 cup dry white wine
1/4 cup chopped flat leaf parsley
2 cloves garlic, smashed
Juice of 1/2 of a lemon
Salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper to taste
Grated Parmesan cheese to taste
*Nutrition facts at bottom
- Cut tofu into small cubes.
- Melt butter and olive oil together in a skillet over medium heat.
- Add garlic and sauté until lightly golden (1–2 minutes). Do not overcook!
- Add wine, pepper, crushed red pepper, and salt and let simmer and reduce for 2–4 minutes.
- Mix in tofu and sauté approx 4–5 minutes.
- Stir in lemon juice and sprinkle with parsley and parmesan.
If you try these recipes, let me know in the comments section how you liked them. And as always, feel free to connect with me and share on social media.
Serving Size: 2 cakes
Calories (not including wine): 129
Total Fat: 1.2g
Total Carbohydrates: 23.4g
Dietary Fiber: 2.8g
Potato Fritters Nutrition Facts
Serving Size: approx. 1/4 cup
Calories (not including parmesan): 191
Total Fat: 13.4g
Total Carbohydrates: 4.3g
Dietary Fiber: 1.5g